Saturday, August 17, 2013

Combatitude

God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say thank you?
 ― William Arthur Ward

Birthday fast approaches. I do much better when I don't think about it. Then usually about 5 days out, when people start calling to make celebratory plans, it becomes unavoidable. The peace and contentment God is always waiting to bless me with somehow skedaddles when I mentally begin taking stock of where my life is at up against 3_. I thought I'd be much farther than this--the thought that kills.

Normally, I would wallow. I would steep in it like a sour-faced teabag and pour my bitter brew out to whoever will listen. But this is my 3rd birthday walking hand-in-hand with God and this year I've decided not to accept the enemy's invitation to that annual pity-party (table for one).

I'm confronted everyday with all the things I don't know about living this life in Christ. But as young as I am in the Lord, I do know that His love and mercy are all that matters and He will pour out more of both on me each day than I'll ever need. So when I'm tempted to stop climbing toward the person He wants me to be, when I loosen my grip and just plunk down where I'm at, refusing to go one more step up that hill, that's when I need to remember to thank Him for the ground we've already covered.

The most effective weapon He's ever given me to fight the enemy--the most important tool He's provided for chiseling my way through the rocks we encounter is speaking gratitude out loud. Choosing to articulate an attitude of thankfulness changes everything.

Do you know it's physically impossible to be both grateful and angry at the same time? Really. Try it. You can't do it. I'm slow at learning most of what God will teach me, but this one thing I grab hold of for dear life. 

So yeah, my cashflow is not where I'd like it to be at 3_. But I'm still blessed with a beautiful, peaceful place to live, warm people who surround and love me and plenty of good food. True, I'm not married and haven't had a date since--well, never mind. But for the first time in my life, I'm not waiting until a man calls me his wife to become the woman I was meant to be. And yes, I'm still learning how to love and forgive (myself and others). But God saved me and He's there to whisper encouragement in my ear and take my hand when the road gets tough. Which means 37 (there, I said it) will be my most vital, well-lived season yet.

So, stick it, Devil. I'm declaring war on the annual birthday funk. Consider me an enemy combatant, covered head to toe in gratitude kevlar. 
          
The more I understand the mind and the human experience, the more I begin to suspect there is no such thing as unhappiness; there is only ungratefulness. ― Steve Maraboli

Quotes courtesy of goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment